Don’t Forget these Supplies in your Vehicle's First Aid Kit
When we think of the items that should be kept in vehicle first aid kits, a few common wound care supplies come to mind:
- Antiseptic cleansing wipes
- Plastic adhesive bandages
- Butterfly closure strips
- Antibiotic ointment
- Burn relief cream
Since the purpose of an automobile first aid kit is to be prepared for unexpected situations, you may want to ensure that your vehicle is stocked with these less obvious safety supplies to ensure preparedness in different types of emergencies:
- First aid tape, cotton tipped applicators and gauze in a range of sizes: While the basic wound care supplies mentioned above are important to keep in any vehicle first aid kit, having gauze in a variety of sizes as well as other wound care supplies provides the ability to treat wounds of varying severity.
- Instant cold compresses: An instant cold compress is a small pack that becomes extremely cold and acts as an ice pack when activated. An instant ice pack can be used to alleviate swelling when ice is not available, as is usually the case in roadside emergencies.
- Emergency blanket: Emergency blankets use reflective foil to trap body heat and maintain optimal body temperature in cold environments. Emergency blankets can be life savers in the event that you get stranded with no heat in frigid winter temperatures.
- Disposable gloves: Disposable gloves such as latex gloves, vinyl exam gloves or disposable nitrile gloves protect against the spread of germs when administering or receiving first aid. Gloves help prevent the spread of germs from the hands to a wound and vice versa in an emergency situation.
A vehicle first aid kit may not be something you think about often, but having the right medical supplies on hand to deal with unpredictable circumstances is an important part of vehicle safety. While we recommend keeping a complete first aid kit in your vehicle to prepare for emergencies, we also hope you never have to use it!
About MEDNET Direct: MEDNET Direct is a leading provider of medical supplies wholesale for the medical, veterinary and dental industries. Please visit MEDNET Direct for disposable medical supplies such as disposable nitrile gloves, wound dressings, cotton tipped applicators and more.