Green Puppy Care
If being green is important to you, there are a number of ways that you can care for your puppy in an environmentally responsible way. Here are a couple tips to make you and your pup an eco-friendly duo.
- Adopt your puppy. Puppy mills are not only cruel, but they are wasteful eco-dumps. Do not support the puppy mill industry and adopt your puppy from a shelter.
- Fix your pup. The Humane Society estimates that there are more than 70,000 puppies and kittens born daily in the USA. This rampant overpopulation not only strains resources, but it also leads to neglected animals. Spay or neuter your pet to help curb the overpopulation that leads to the need for shelters.
- Use eco-friendly products. You can find an eco-friendly version of all things doggie these days. There are durable hemp toys, washable puppy pads for house breaking, and chemical-free cleaning products for bath time. Take a moment to read labels and the green products will be easy to spot.
- Compost your puppy’s waste. Don’t just toss Fido’s poo into the garbage. Sadly, landfills are incredibly inefficient environments for breaking down materials. Instead, dig a compost area in your yard, away from any vegetables or plants you plan to eat. This will help keep your garden fertilized and also make waste disposal fast and easy.
- Buy quality food. Buy your pup food that comes from quality, organic ingredients. Most inexpensive dog foods come from diseased or dying cattle and use grains grown with harsh chemicals. If you are feeling really eco-friendly and motivated, you can even use your leftovers to make your buddy’s diner. Stick to vegetables, meats, fruit and grains, because leftover tiramisu is not so good for puppies. Other foods to avoid include raw meat, grapes or raisins, onions, macadamia nuts, walnuts, mustard seed, any form of garlic, mushrooms, moldy food, yeast dough, chocolate or candy, and artificial sweeteners or fats. Coffee grounds, tea and alcohol are no-no’s too. The Humane Society has a comprehensive list of potentially poisonous foods to pets and I-love-dogs.com offers a great list of dog food recipes.
About the Author: Kerry Perissi is the Founder & Vice President of MEDNET Direct, a leading provider of medical supplies as well as quality puppy pads. For more information and to shop medical supplies wholesale, please visit MEDNET Direct.